New Activity Group- Proposal
Starting a New Activity Group
Do you and your friends have a great idea with sufficient interest to propose a new GWSA Activity Group, along with the leadership and motivation to make things happen?
If so, the GWSA welcomes proposals from those who want to help members “be active, get involved, and make friends.” Leading a group is a fulfilling way to share your life experience, skills and talents while giving back to community.
The GWSA provides the opportunity for Activity Groups to meet the needs of seniors according to its Mission, Vision, and Values. We are committed to a future that is progressive, accountable and innovative in providing services to the Older Adult community. Our Mission is to empower Older Adults to be active, to be involved and to age successfully.
GWSA Policies apply equally to all Activity Groups, including those who call themselves, or are known as “Clubs”.
Applications for new Activity Groups are reviewed by the GWSA Program Committee, which recommends viable new Activity Groups to the Board of Directors for final approval. The Board offers as many Activity Groups as possible within the available resources.
How to Apply
For consistency, all groups operate under the GWSA By-Law and Polices, under oversight of and coordination with the GWSA Program Committee. The Committee provides a comprehensive Group Leader’s manual and meets regularly with Activity Group Leaders.
While most groups operate at the Evergreen Centre, other sites are sometimes used, and some activities occur exclusively outdoors, or virtually.
If you are interested in starting a new Activity Group with the GWSA, you can complete and submit the application form below. If you prefer, you can download and print a paper form from the link provided.
The Recreation Coordinator and the Program Committee can help with the application process as needed, and will review the Activity Group Proposal.
Once a proposal is approved, the group will need to establish an Executive with two or more members such as president, secretary, treasurer. You will also need to establish a budget and determine any participation fees in consultation with the GWSA Financial Administrator to cover operating expenses.
- Determine the theme or name for the group
- Consider who will lead the group and who will keep records
- Think about who is interested, or how additional participants will be sourced
- Consider location, space requirements, furniture, and any equipment needs
- Weigh any risks to participate, including any cautions or needed accommodations
- Estimate startup and recurring expenses and what participation fee would be suitable
- Draft notes on what will be needed for a complete application form
- Complete and submit the online submission form
- You may also use the downloadable pdf form if you prefer.