Linkages to Other Websites
The City of Guelph: The City of Guelph offers excellent recreational, social and educational courses or programs at the Evergreen Seniors Community Centre for individuals living in Guelph and the surrounding areas. Register for programs and courses at http://recenroll.ca.
- Fee Assistance in Recreation (FAIR) — The FAIR Program provides everyone the opportunity to participate in recreation programs.
- Age Friendly Guelph —The City of Guelph has adopted an Older to create an age-friendly community that supports older adults to live in security, maintain their health and participate fully in society.
- Guelph Transit — Up to date information on route changes, closures and traffic problems.
- Affordable Bus Pass — Following a successful pilot period, the City of Guelph made its Affordable Bus Pass program permanent. Adults, youths and seniors living in low-income households are encouraged to apply.
- Guelph Hydro: Download an information sheet with information on how to save money by conserving energy in a number of straightforward ways. There is also a link for a Home Assistance Program that benefits low-income residents of Guelph with hydro bills, etc.
- Go Transit – Check transit schedules and make reservations
- Via Rail Canada – Check train schedules and make reservations
Guelph and Area Resources
- Garden Fresh Box – Support Local Farmers
- Guelph Humane Society – Help an animal in distress. Additionally, cat, dog, and rabbit Foster Volunteer Opportunities also available.
- Guelph Arts Council – Local Culture
- Guelph Symphony Orchestra – Local musical talent
- Guelph Farmers Market – Fresh Local Produce
- Guelph Chamber of Commerce – Home of Guelph Businesses
- Guelph Library – Read a book or three
- Guelph Little Theatre – Local live theatre
- Guelph Wellington Men’s Club – Opportunities for Learning and Fellowship
- PIN Network – providing programs and services in Guelph and Wellington.
- River Run Centre – Check out the local scene
- Royal City Musical Productions Inc. – Bringing Musical Theatre to Guelph
- Seniors Engaged – A resource for seniors in Guelph and Wellington County
- Royal Canadian Legion Guelph – Support your local Legion
- United Way — United Way of Guelph, Wellington, Dufferin
Local Medical and Mental Health Resources
- Alzheimer Society Waterloo Wellington – Local support for Alzheimer’s
- C.M.H.A. – Local chapter of the Canadian Mental Health Association
- Community Care Access Centre – Care at home
- Community Torchlight – Offering free, telephone-based listening, support, referral, and crisis assistance (24/7/365) by trained staff and volunteers
- Guelph General Hospital – Our own Local Hospital
- Health Services for Waterloo Wellington – Comprehensive listing of Local Health Services
- Homewood Health Centre Inc. – World famous mental health facility
- Parkinson’s Support Group – Local Support for Parkinson’s Disease
- St. Joseph’s Health Centre – Recuperation and Outreach Services
- Suicide Awareness Council of Wellington-Dufferin – Helping to reduce suicide in our community
- The Mood Disorders Support Group of Guelph – Local Peer Support Group
- Wellington Dufferin Guelph Public Health Unit – Be well!
- Government of Canada Services for Seniors
- Government of Canada- Services for Seniors Guide
- Ontario Ministry of Seniors and Accessibility
- Provincial Guide to Programs and Services for Seniors
- Aging with Confidence: Ontario’s Action Plan for Seniors.
- Puslinch Township
- Township of Centre Wellington
- Wellington County
You can request a congratulatory message if you or a senior in your life is marking a milestone occasion.
Get information about requesting a message from:
- Her Majesty The Queen – for Canadians celebrating birthdays of 100 years or more and for couples celebrating wedding anniversaries of 60 years or more (at five-year intervals)
- the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario – for Ontarians celebrating birthdays of 90 years or more and for couples celebrating wedding anniversaries of 50 years or more.
- the Prime Minister of Canada – congratulatory certificates are available for Canadians celebrating birthdays of 65 years or more (at five-year intervals), 100th birthdays and up (yearly), and for couples celebrating wedding anniversaries of 25 years of more (at five-year intervals).
- the Premier of Ontario – for Ontarians celebrating birthdays of 80 years or more and for couples celebrating anniversaries of 40 years or more.
You can also contact your Member of Provincial Parliament (MPP) or Member of Parliament (MP) for a variety of occasions.
Awards for Seniors
Ontario Senior Achievement Awards
This award recognizes individuals for significant contributions to their communities after the age of 65. Up to 20 individuals are recognized each year. The application deadline is June 15.
Ontario Senior of the Year Award
This award is given by a municipality to recognize an outstanding senior who, after age 65, enriches the social, cultural or civic life of the community.
Thie provincial site below provides additional details on the above awards. Note that you cannot open the application forms directly on the government site. Instead, right click on “Get the *name* form”/copy link address), then launch your Adobe Acrobat Reader. In Acrobat, select file/open and paste (CTRL c) into the space for ‘file name’.
Local Media Resources
- CFRU FM — Non-profit campus and community radio station
- CJOY Radio — Local AM Radio
- Grand 101.1 FM — Centre Wellington Community Radio
- Guelph Mercury Tribune — Guelph’s own local daily online paper
- GuelphToday.com — Online Local Current News
- Magic 106 Radio — Local FM Radio
- Rogers Cable Community Billboard — Post local Events
- SNAP Guelph — Have you been snap’d today?
- The Fountain Pen — Local Online News
- The Wellington Advertiser — Free Press News Weekly
Other Seniors Resources
- A Place for Mom- Free Referral Service
- Canadian Senior Discount Guide: The Ultimate List
- Disaster Preparedness Guide for Seniors and Caregivers: A very helpful guide. Some information may not be applicable to our situation in Canada as this is a U.S. site
- Financial Planning Standards Council — Commercial Free Resource
- Help with Incontinence — A helpful resource: Some information may not be applicable to our situation in Canada as this is a U.K. site
- How to Volunteer as a Senior — Lots of Good Information: Some information may not be applicable to our situation in Canada as this is a U.S. site
- Older Adult Centres’ Association of Ontario – The Voice of Older Adult Centres in Ontario. OACAO Newsletters