Join the GWSA
Be Active…Get Involved…Make Friends!
Some benefits may be limited due to COVID-19
Take advantage of all the GWSA’s Programs and Services:
- Join any of the dozens of activity groups. Drop-in activity groups charge a nominal fee for each session. You can join other activity groups for a low-cost annual registration fee.
- Enjoy special events like dances, concerts, assemblies, and celebrations.
- Take City-run courses which are held at the Evergreen Seniors Community Centre for the convenience of our members. Computer courses are conducted in the computer lab. Our members pay a discounted fee, and the course material is targeted to seniors.
- Get assistance from any health clinics that operate in the Evergreen Seniors Community Centre. Services vary from time to time, and have sometimes included foot care, blood pressure, diabetes support, osteoarthritis education, and hearing screening.
- Participate in a variety of day trips organized by the Trips, Travel, and Tours Committee.
- Enjoy breakfast or lunch in the recently updated Evergreen Restaurant, or get fresh or frozen meals to take home.
- Borrow items from our library collection of fiction and non-fiction books, videocassettes, CDs and DVDs in the Book Nook.
- Subscribe to the monthly newsletter. The Sentinel is a great source of information about ongoing activities and news about the GWSA. It is also a means of sharing comments and observations. It’s free for monthly pickup with your membership and can be delivered for a nominal fee.
- Use the Technology Centre which is is open daily and is available for personal use such as browsing the internet and checking email. We have recently added a livestreaming video-recording suite to facilitate virtual activities.
- Apply to start a new group in collaboration with the Program Committee. It’s a great way to make new friends while sharing your talents and interests!
- Access wireless (Wi-Fi) connection to the internet throughout the Evergreen Seniors Community Centre. You can use your laptop, tablet, or smartphone to stay connected while at the Centre.
- Attend Annual General Meetings and Special Member Meetings, or join the Board of Directors and Committees to participate in decisions affecting the organization.
In-Person Play ACCESS Card ***NEW***
Starting September, 2021, members must show their IPP ACCESS card to participate in any in-person GWSA activities or events. Receiving the card requires providing Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination (2 doses) and signing the GWSA COVID-19 Liability Waiver. You can do that easily through DocuSign on this website, or in person by arrangement with the IPP Coordinator. Get all the details here: https://gwsa-guelph.ca/resuming-in-person-activities-gwsa/
GWSA Email Updates
At the bottom of the page, anyone can sign up for free GWSA Email Updates. Each month, the Membership & Marketing Committee sends an email to highlight exciting things happening at the GWSA; important communications from the Board and upcoming programs by CSS.
The modern GWSA website has the our latest news, and lots of information about our Activities, Programs, and Services. Come back to visit us often to see what’s happening!
- Qualification to join:
- 55 years of age or more, or
- the spouse/partner of a GWSA member, or
- you are under 55 and are requesting approval to join
- Applicants under age 55 may be considered for membership by the Executive Committee if there are special circumstances. Also, applicants may be referred by Community Support Services or the Membership and Marketing Committee for approval for health or social reasons.
- Your information will be sent to the GWSA Membership and Marketing Committee and we’ll get back to you with welcoming information as soon as we can.
- To become a GWSA member, you will either have to come into the Evergreen centre to to pay for your Membership with your Credit Card (Visa or Mastercard) or cheque made to the City of Guelph; or you can do so over the phone by calling the recreation line at 519-837-5699.
- $22.00 + 2.86 HST = $24.86 – pick up The Sentinel at the Evergreen Centre
- $28.00 + 3.64 HST = $31.64 – have The Sentinel hand-delivered to your home (only within Guelph city limits)
- $45.00 + $5.85 HST = $50.85 – have The Sentinel mailed to your home
All current memberships were placed on hold in March 2020 and start again September 1, 2021. Members will still receive all their remaining days. For example, if your membership showed a renewal date of August 2020, it has been extended to February 2022. You do not need to reapply.
New membership cards for all members, with the revised expiry dates, will be available for pickup at the Evergreen Centre beginning September 7, 2021.
You can renew your GWSA Membership in several ways:
- At the Front Desk of the Evergreen Seniors Community Centre (payment may be made by cash, cheque payable to The City of Guelph, a City of Guelph Gift Card or a Visa or Mastercard Credit Card).
- Over the phone with a Credit card (Visa or Mastercard)
- Mailing a cheque (payable to The City of Guelph).
You can then pick up your new Membership Card the next time you are at the Centre.
Join Us Today
To join today and receive your membership card, simply come into the Evergreen Centre to to pay for your Membership with your Credit Card (Visa or Mastercard) or cheque made to the City of Guelph; or you can do so over the phone by calling the recreation line at 519-837-5699.
We recommend that new members complete and submit the form below to the Membership and Marketing Committee. You can ask any questions, and they will be in touch to provide orientation or other information.