October 6, 2021.
We are pleased that our initial reopening allowed members to return as soon as possible. The GWSA continues to refine its procedures so that everyone can be actively involved in activities they enjoy.
As current legislation prohibits organizations from keeping a record of vaccination, members are now required at each visit to:
- provide Ontario Proof of Vaccination* and government-issued identification showing name and date of birth
- Provide contact tracing information.
- Follow screening protocols
* Acceptable Ontario Proof of Vaccination is your digital or paper Ontario Vaccination Receipt (2 doses plus the 2 week waiting period) or the enhanced Ontario Vaccination Certificate with QR Code (available through the Ontario Vaccination Portal below).
As the GWSA is not keeping proof of vaccination or collecting new waivers, IPP ACCESS cards are no longer being issued and are not required.
-GWSA Board of Directors
Returning to In-person Activities:
1: Provide Proof of Vaccination
New provincial legislation effective September 22 required some changes:
Visitors to the Evergreen Centre must:
-Show their Ontario Proof of Vaccination* and government-issued identification showing name and date of birth.
-Provide contact tracing information and read screening signage.
* Acceptable Ontario Proof of Vaccination is your digital or paper Ontario Vaccination Receipt (2 doses plus the 2 week waiting period) or the enhanced Ontario Vaccination Certificate (available after October 22). The IPP ACCESS Card can no longer be accepted as Proof of Vaccination.
2. Join Your Activity Groups
You must be a GWSA member to register. To become a new GWSA member, you will either have to come into the Evergreen centre to register in person or you can do so over the phone by calling the recreation line at 519-837-5699.
You will need to register for all Activity Groups through RecEnroll online, or through any City Recreation desk including the Evergreen Centre. Available activities will be listed in RecEnroll once their return-to-play plans have been approved.
In RecEnroll, go to Programs/Seniors/Guelph Wellington Seniors Association and select Activity Groups.
3. Pick Up Your Membership Card
Your new membership card has an updated expiry date.
GWSA memberships went ‘on hold’ on March 20, 2020. That ‘membership clock’ restarted September 1, 2021 and your membership renewal date has been extended more than 17 months to provide the number of days you had left after we went ‘on hold’. For example, if you old membership card shows an expiry date in August 2020, your five remaining months became available to use in September, 2021, so your new expiry date jumps into February 2022.
The Board requires that participants of in-person activities and events provide Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination*
Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health continues to remind those 70 years of age and older that they are at higher risk of severe illness if they get COVID-19. Those over 70 should discuss their participation in recreational programs with their health care provider to understand their personal risk and act accordingly.
Proof of Vaccination
The GWSA requires Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination* for in-person activities because:
- The GWSA serves a population that is inherently vulnerable to COVID-19.
- GWSA members have expressed strong support for a vaccination policy.
- Public Health advises individuals in our demographic to receive the vaccine.
Members wishing to participate in the in-person activities will be asked to show Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination* but the GWSA will not hold a copy of the document.
* Acceptable Ontario Proof of Vaccination is your digital or paper Ontario Vaccination Receipt (2 doses plus the 2 week waiting period) or the enhanced Ontario Vaccination Certificate (available after October 16). The IPP ACCESS Card can no longer be accepted as Proof of Vaccination.
How to Get Your Official Ontario COVID-19 Vaccination Receipt
How to Add Your Out-of- Province Vaccinations
Use this to send your out-of-province vaccination documents to WDG Public Health, so they can update your Ontario vaccination record. It may take several days to be validated then included on your Ontario COVID-19 Vaccination Receipt.
COVID-19 Liability Policy
Effective October 6, 2021, the GWSA revised its COVID-19 Liability Policy for in-person activities. Situations related to COVID-19 will be managed with consideration of the liability shield provided through the Supporting Ontario’s Recovery Act. The GWSA’s General Commercial Liability Insurance policy remains in effect for situations that are not associated with COVID-19. You can read the details of the policy here:
City staff can help you
- join the GWSA,
- renew a membership, and
- register in any Activity Groups.
If you have not picked up your new membership card this fall, be sure to ask City staff at the main desk for your membership card envelopes which contain your updated cards- with extended expiry dates.
GWSA Staff and Volunteers:
- GWSA’s Community Support Services staff (CSS) can provide assistance if you need to speak with someone by phone 519-837-5696.
- For general inquiries, please use the ‘contact us’ page of this website, and select from the drop-down menu.