Linkages to Other Websites
This Website Usage Policy applies only to the GWSA website.
Our website contains linkages to other websites. Should you choose to link to another website, you will be subject to their privacy policies. We encourage you to read other websites’ privacy policies, especially if you choose to share any personal information.
Links for third-party Web sites are meant for convenience only. No endorsement of any third party’s products or services is expressed or implied by any information, material or content referred to or included on or linked from or to the Site.
The City of Guelph: The City of Guelph offers excellent recreational, social and educational courses or programs at the Evergreen Seniors Community Centre for individuals living in Guelph and the surrounding areas. Click here for details on the programs available through the City of Guelph including the Spring/Summer 2020 Community Guide. Download the Guide here. Register for programs and courses at http://recenroll.ca.
- Fee Assistance in Recreation (FAIR) — The FAIR Program provides everyone the opportunity to participate in recreation programs.
- Age Friendly Guelph — In the spring of 2012, Community and Social Services launched an initiative to develop an Older Adult Strategy. The purpose of the strategy is to create an age-friendly community that supports older adults to live in security, maintain their health and participate fully in society. In response, the City will adapt its structure and services to be accessible and inclusive of older people with varying needs and capacities.
- Guelph Transit — Up to date information on route changes, closures and traffic problems.
- Affordable Bus Pass — Following a successful pilot period, the City of Guelph made its Affordable Bus Pass program permanent, effective January 1, 2014. Guelph Transit’s Affordable Bus Pass is a lower cost pass to help you get around Guelph using public transportation.Adults, youths and seniors living in low-income households are encouraged to apply. Those new to the program are welcome to apply at any time. If you are a current Affordable Bus Pass holder you are reminded to re-apply each year.
- Guelph Hydro: Download an information sheet with information on how to save money by conserving energy in a number of straightforward ways. There is also a link for a Home Assistance Program that benefits low-income residents of Guelph with hydro bills, etc.
- Go Transit – Check transit schedules and make reservations
- Greyhound Bus Lines – Check bus schedules and make reservations
- Via Rail Canada – Check train schedules and make reservations
Guelph and Area Resources
- Garden Fresh Box – Support Local Farmers
- Guelph Humane Society – Help an animal in distress. Additionally, cat, dog, and rabbit Foster Volunteer Opportunities also available.
- Guelph Arts Council – Local Culture
- Guelph Symphony Orchestra – Local musical talent
- Guelph Farmers Market – Fresh Local Produce
- Guelph Chamber of Commerce – Home of Guelph Businesses
- Guelph Library – Read a book or three
- Guelph Little Theatre – Local live theatre
- Guelph Wellington Men’s Club – Opportunities for Learning and Fellowship
- PIN Network – providing programs and services in Guelph and Wellington.
- River Run Centre – Check out the local scene
- Royal City Musical Productions Inc. – Bringing Musical Theatre to Guelph Since 1979
- Seniors Engaged – A resource for seniors in Guelph and Wellington County
- The Royal Canadian Legion Guelph – Support your local Legion
- United Way — United Way of Guelph, Wellington, Dufferin
Local Medical and Mental Health Resources
- Alzheimer Society Waterloo Wellington – Local support for Alzheimer’s
- C.M.H.A. – Local chapter of the Canadian Mental Health Association
- Community Care Access Centre – Care at home
- Community Torchlight – Offering free, telephone-based listening, support, referral, and crisis assistance (24/7/365) by trained staff and volunteers
- Guelph General Hospital – Our own Local Hospital
- Health Services for Waterloo Wellington – Comprehensive listing of Local Health Services
- Homewood Health Centre Inc. – World famous mental health facility
- Parkinson’s Support Group – Local Support for Parkinson’s Disease
- St. Joseph’s Health Centre – Recuperation and Outreach Services
- Suicide Awareness Council of Wellington-Dufferin – Helping to reduce suicide in our community
- The Mood Disorders Support Group of Guelph – Local Peer Support Group
- Wellington Dufferin Guelph Public Health Unit – Be well!
- Government of Canada Seniors Website — A Great Resource for Seniors
- Services for Seniors Guide: A Guide to Government of Canada Services for Seniors and their Families
- Ontario Seniors Secretariat – Ontario Government Resources for Seniors
- Provincial Guide to Programs and Services for Seniors – A Guide to Programs and Services for Seniors in Ontario
- The Province of Ontario has also published Aging with Confidence: Ontario’s Action Plan for Seniors.
- Puslinch Township – Puslinch Township Offices
- Seniors: Service Canada — Service Canada’s Seniors’ Resource
- Township of Centre Wellington — Centre Wellington
- Wellington County — Wellington County Headquarters
Local Media Resources
- CFRU FM — Non-profit campus and community radio station
- CJOY Radio — Local AM Radio
- Grand 101.1 FM — Centre Wellington Community Radio
- Guelph Mercury Tribune — Guelph’s own local daily online paper
- GuelphToday.com — Online Local Current News
- Magic 106 Radio — Local FM Radio
- Rogers Cable Community Billboard — Post local Events
- SNAP Guelph — Have you been snap’d today?
- The Fountain Pen — Local Online News
- The Wellington Advertiser — Free Press News Weekly
Other Relevant Seniors Resources
- A Place for Mom — A Free Canadian Resource
- Canadian Senior Discount Guide: The Ultimate List
- Disaster Preparedness Guide for Seniors and Caregivers: A very helpful guide. Some information may not be applicable to our situation in Canada as this is a U.S. site
- Financial Planning Standards Council — Commercial Free Resource
- Help with Incontinence — A helpful resource: Some information may not be applicable to our situation in Canada as this is a U.K. site
- How to Volunteer as a Senior — Lots of Good Information: Some information may not be applicable to our situation in Canada as this is a U.S. site
- Older Adult Centres’ Association of Ontario – The Voice of Older Adult Centres in Ontario. OACAO Newsletters
- Rockwood Co-living Interest Group – Local Innovative Shared Housing and Shared Ownership