GWSA Member/Non-member rights or privileges

Do I have to be a member of the GWSA to eat in the Evergreen Restaurant?

Anyone can eat in the Evergreen Restaurant. A GWSA membership is not required.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

How can I register to volunteer with the GWSA?

To begin the process for volunteering with the GWSA, in the Volunteer section, please complete the registration process under Volunteer Application. Once the registration has been completed and sent, someone will be in touch with you regarding your application. See our Volunteer Page for details.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

How can I donate to the GWSA?

You can donate money to the Guelph Wellington Seniors Association through our Donate Now! page.  Simply follow the prompts to complete your donation.

You can also donate books or audio-visual materials to the Library.  For more information about book or audio-visual donations , please call the Information Desk at 519-823-1291.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

How can I resize the printing on the GWSA website?

 If you would like the text on the site to be a little larger — or a little smaller — resize it using the coloured ‘+’ or ‘-‘ buttons located on most pages. The 100% button restores all text to the default size. 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Can I register for card games/group activities/volunteering online?

  • People wanting to register for courses must use the Regexpress process as outlined in the Guelph Community Guide.
  • GWSA membership registrations must be done in person or over the phone. We need to know they have registered, give them a GWSA membership card and a new member package.  Online is not an option for GWSA membership.
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Do you have to be a GWSA member to go on trips?

Yes, all travellers on GWSA travel trips MUST be members in good standing of the Guelph Wellington Seniors Association.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Do you have to be a member of the GWSA to take courses?

Most, if not all courses, quote two rates of participation. There is a member and a non-member cost to join the courses. In all cases, the member rate is lower than the non-member rate.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Questions about the Evergreen Centre

How can I view the current events at the Evergreen Seniors Community Centre on the website?

You can go to almost any page, then scroll down to “Popular Links”, then “Current GWSA Activity Schedule”.  You should be able to find everything there.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Can I get the Sentinel delivered to my home? Mailed? Download online?

You can have the Sentinel delivered to your address as part of your annual membership fee. Please call the GWSA (519-823-1291) for information on the membership fees. Additional copies of the Sentinel are available at the Front Desk at a cost of $3.00 each + HST.

In addition, the Sentinel can be downloaded here.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Is it possible to rent rooms at the Evergreen Centre for community events?

Yes, the City of Guelph rents out rooms or the auditorium for your group or club meetings or special events. Please click here to download a Facility Rental Information Brochure. To download an Evergreen Rental Request Form, click here.

Please call the front desk for complete details — 519-823-1291. Ask to speak with Tracy.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Do I have to be a senior to volunteer at the Evergreen Seniors Community Centre?

No, you do not have to be a senior to volunteer at the Evergreen or the GWSA. If you would like to volunteer with the Evergreen or the GWSA, please contact Becky MacDonald, Coordinator of Volunteer Services regarding your decision to volunteer with the GWSA. You can ask any questions that you may have this way. You can reach Becky at 519-823-1291 X 2096. Please visit our volunteer page of the website.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Services for Seniors

How can I find out what Canadian Federal and Provincial programs and services are available to seniors?

The Government of Canada publishes a document entitled Services for Seniors Guide: A Guide to Government of Canada Services for Seniors and their Families , which contains information on federal programs and services directed to seniors.

A corresponding Provincial Guide to Programs and Services for Seniors is here.

The Province of Ontario has also published Aging with Confidence: Ontario’s Action Plan for Seniors.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Where can I get help with my income tax forms?

The Canada Revenue Agency operates a Community Volunteer Income Tax Program. Call 1-800-959-8281 to find one in your area, or check the web site.

There is also a tax specialist who does personal taxes for a nominal charge at the Evergreen. Enquire at the front desk (519-823-1291) for making an appointment during tax time.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

What do I do if I suspect telephone or other fraudulent activities?

Contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre; or call 1-888-495-8501

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Where can I upgrade my skills as an older driver?

The Canada Safety Council offers driver refresher training courses called 55 Alive

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Are there any programs that offer assistance to seniors who need to make adaptations/renovations to their home?

The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation has several financial assistance programs for low-income seniors, such as:

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

What do I do if I think I have been the victim of age or other discrimination?

Contact the Canadian Human Rights Commission.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

How can I get information about my provincial health insurance plan, such as: Does it cover me when I am out of the province? How do I get a health card? Is there a program to help purchase Assisting Devices? What are the drug benefits, etc?

You can find information on Ontario’s Health Insurance Plan by clicking here.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email


Resize text on site

Zoom in Regular Zoom out
Print Friendly, PDF & Email